I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 13 May 2010

Bluebells

You can see the faintest tinge of blue on this photograph of Hirst Woods, Saltaire, taken from the side of the Leeds-Liverpool canal. We are right in the middle of bluebell time here, and I think the haze of bluebells in a spring woodland is one of the prettiest sights there is. But you have to know where to go for the best pictures and you have to find a day with the right lighting - too sunny and it doesn't work, too dull and it doesn't really work either. The bluebells in Hirst Woods don't form a really thick carpet - Middleton Woods in Ilkley is generally a better bet for photos, but I haven't had chance to venture over there yet this year. Nevertheless, Hirst Woods, just on the edge of Saltaire, is my local patch of ancient woodland and I am fond of it. For a photo of the woods at the other end of the year, click this link.

8 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful photo. I can't help being reminded of my mother when i read your blog. You mention things and places that i remember her talking about. She loved bluebells and she used to sing a song about Ilkley Moor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about light levels. In this case, I love the way it seeps down through the foliage into the woodland scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap! I went to Hirst Wood yesterday too! One of the loveliest places in Shipley - http://bit.ly/aWBPaS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I so agree with you. It is that haze of blue that is so breathtaking and very difficult to capture well in a photograph. I always find that my own photographs tend to dilute the visual effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that you like this place. it's so beautyful and peaceful! your picture makes me think of the Jane Campon's movie, "Brightstar", so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magical -- those bluebell woods. I have planted a few and they return every year but they don't spread and prosper as one would like. We don't have that misty weather that they probably would prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the blue in the picture heightens the vibrancy of the green!

    ReplyDelete