I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 14 May 2010

Leeds station

(Best viewed large)
The more you keep your eyes open for photos the more you find, sometimes in the most unpromising of places. I was passing through Leeds railway station on my way to York the other day, and as I was waiting for my train I noticed the strong graphic effect of the metal staircase on the opposite platform. I would have liked there to be fewer people in the picture but I had to take it quickly as there was a train coming in! Maybe one day I'll go back and try another improved shot of this. Though I have heard of a photographer who was summarily ejected from the station by the security guards for taking photos, so it could be hazardous. (I guess a middle-aged woman with a compact camera attracts less attention than a bloke with a massive DSLR and a long lens, unfair though that may be!
)

I have converted this to black and white and 'posterized' it in Photoshop but it was almost a mono image anyway.

9 comments:

  1. I like your picture, even with people, they look like shadows;
    When I was in Barcelona, I pictured my husband in the subway. I suddenly heard a voice in a loudspeaker, telling it was strictly forbidden to take pictures there!I acted like if I had not understood..Always keep a natural face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a striking image and, for me, the people in silhouette make it. Very nicely edited photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very striking photo. I have a similar shot scheduled for Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shot! I have trouble, myself, thinking in black and white, but you make me want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been of the opinion, for a long time, that women can get away with a lot more than guys when it comes to photography. They just aren't as intimidating.

    Good on you for flouting the rules Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a strong image. I love the lines and it is striking in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem is the percieved terrorist threat, since 9/11 and 7/7 it as become much worser. You could always try contacting the Manager at Leeds Station (especially if you are doing a photography course). The problem is in my experience people who think they can take photographs any where. You cannot take photographs on private property and I think you will find that Leeds Railway Station is such a property. Newwork Rail actually have a media office based in London. It does not matter if you are an amateur, student or professional it is common courtesy to obtain permission to take photographs in such public places. It may cost you as well. I was once asked to pay a 'tripod fee' when entering a RHS Garden near Harrogate. If in doubt always ask permission. It's ignorant photographers who do't who give other photographers a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful silhouettes. So much to see. Geometry, lines, tonal range. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picture. To hell with the daft rules. I am tempted to return to the ideas of the mass trespass movement of the 1930s. Perhaps a group of like minded photographers should all congregate in Leeds Station one day and all start taking pictures a the same time.

    ReplyDelete