I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 8 June 2010

A sign of the times


Saltaire's Boathouse Inn, shown yesterday, is sandwiched between the Leeds- Liverpool Canal and the River Aire. Its entrance is just alongside the entrance to Roberts Park, and sports this rather attractive sign.

You can see some wonderful photographs, taken throughout its history, on the Saltaire Village Website and in the Francis Frith Collection.
The building did actually start life as a boathouse. In Victorian times, the river seems to have been quite a bit wider and deeper at this spot and it had a large pleasure boat (steam-powered!), as well as rowing boats for hire. (I think it would be nice if they brought the boats back, since Roberts Park has been renovated.) Remember that Sir Titus Salt strongly disapproved of the demon drink and would not allow licensed premises in the village. I'm not sure when the boathouse was converted into a bar, but it was quite a while ago. Some things have changed!

5 comments:

  1. Do you know I have never been. This calls for a trip to your parts soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this sign! I would enjoy it as a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the various pub signs -- one of my husband's favorites was The Tippling Philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this in universal"sign" language? HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the sign is pretty!

    ReplyDelete