I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 22 August 2010

Ice cream Sunday

You probably get the impression from most of my photos that there aren't many people around in Saltaire. Well, that couldn't be further from the truth, especially on a pleasantly warm, dry sunny (lazy!) Sunday afternoon. The ice-cream boat (first spotted in early April) has become a permanent feature on the canal just beside the entrance to Roberts Park. Perhaps the plastic ice cream cones on its roof don't entirely fit with Saltaire's Victorian charm (although the boat is a traditional working barge) but it seems to have a charm of its own, judging by the queues for ice cream and drinks. The canal towpath is also a cycleway but thankfully most weekend cyclists seem content to ride at a fairly leisurely pace, at least along the busy parts of the canal bank. (Being deaf, I don't generally hear them or their warning bells - can be very hazardous for both parties!)

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful!I wonder what my Great-Grandfather would have thought? He sold ices from a donkey cart in Saltaire.You resident historian was to bring out a book of street sellers with him in it but I've heard nothing for ages.I sent him a rather nice photo which maybe I'll blog about so you can see. He named his house Saltaire when he arrived here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally understand why people would want to queue here. How much more enchanting than a van!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least it's a traditional working barge. Make mine a cone, with a flake, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The charm is certainly in the quality of the ice creams!:)or of the freshness of drinks;When it's hot, those kinds of charms become the most imortant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind vans as they remind me of my Flakes 99 when I was a child but I have to admit that this beats everything I've seen yet! Simply marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unusual, I would be a customer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to say I would gladly take that boat to do a tour but then I realized it's an ice cream point of sale! :-) Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess you could call that a moveable feast. How's the ice cream? Judging by the line/queue it must be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, that would be very scary for you to be on that canal path if a reckless cyclist were driving, but I'm sure you're very careful! I think it's a lovely place for an ice cream boat though! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent piece of writting;

    Hope I will be there someday

    ReplyDelete