I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Beckfoot School


This is the upper school, on the outskirts of Bingley, that my daughter used to attend.  (She was in the same year as Kimberley Walsh, who is now famous as one of the Girls Aloud pop group.)  In those days we lived right opposite the school gates - very convenient.  (Although, as is often the case, living close meant J was frequently late setting off, running across the road with a slice of toast in her hand!)

It's a school with a good reputation and it has steadily expanded.  The original buildings - on the left with the clock tower - must date back to the 1930s, I think.  There have been two or three phases of new building work, and now they are building a entirely new school on what were originally the sports fields.  It is scheduled to open around Easter next year.  I feel slightly guilty that the people who bought our old house have had to contend not only with the building of the Bingley by-pass just down the road but also the new school.  I feel I had a lucky escape at just the right time!

9 comments:

  1. I also lived right in front of my school when I was a kid, and I did not like it: my parents could hear the bell ringing, and I was obliged to be at home immediately after, while my friends could take time to go back home, and to play on their way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. things change don't they - and isn't a fact that the nearest person to a place is always the last one to arrive? lol take care, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never feel guilty - they won't thank you and anyway you probably won't want to know what they did to the insides or the garden afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you picked a good time to move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the clouds over the school. I'm guessing they'll use the old school grounds as the new sports field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years go by and things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. It's especially interesting to look back at places where we've lived and imagine living there now, and how different it might be. Interesting topics on your blog, I'll be 'following' regularly. P.S. Thanks for visiting me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your last few posts - I didnt realise that Kimberley Walsh was from these parts, but not really much of a Girls Aloud fan. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boys leave for school almost every morning with breakfast in hand! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh weird to see it changing. I don't suppose they still have my painting in the reception either.

    ReplyDelete