I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 30 November 2010

First snow


Snow has the power to transform English churches into something magical and its effect on Saltaire URC always pleases me, even though the church is far from a quintessential country church.  We woke up on Saturday morning to a couple of centimetres of crisp, sparkly white stuff and even though I had a 'To Do' list as long as my arm, I couldn't resist a walk.  The sun was not very high so the shadows were long but the snow around the church was virgin.  No-one had yet walked or driven down the drive - and I didn't go and spoil it either!

[After the great but inconclusive size debate, would it be very eccentric of me to post 'landscape' format images in Blogger's X large size and 'portrait' format ones in its Large size?  This one certainly looks better bigger.]

14 comments:

  1. '...crisp and clear and even.' It's a beautiful photo, nicely framed.

    Sizewise, landscape XL works for me. Good compromise. Your whole first paragraph fits on the screen with the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photograph. Such great tones and contrast.

    I think you have the size about right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How marvellous! it makes me think of old Christmas carols, singers gathering aroung a light and singing, a real british winter scenery! (at last, for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woke up to our first dusting this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is simply beautiful! I can't get enough of English churches. And as for the size of the photo, my opinion is 'the bigger, the better' as long as it loads quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that snow does have a magical quality! I LOVE that you captured this scene before any tracks spoiled the virgin snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are most welcome to join us for dinner, providing you stop in at the Wensleydale Creamery at Hawes first and bring along some of that wonderful Yorkshire cheese!!! :-) You are so lucky to be so close! (Okay, you may not consider that close, but we drive that far about once a week to do most of our shopping.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right...snow can make anything look magical!

    Your mammogram tips you left on my blog were absolutely hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, crisp photo. It does look magical - very pretty. Wish we could get some snow here, but it's been years since that happened. Your comment on the cactus resembling the petrol stations wiggly arm guy made me laugh - it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful with the snow! Hugs from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete