I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 16 January 2011

Heritage Trail 14 - Saltaire Road


'At the top of Albert Road, turn left and use the zebra crossing to cross Saltaire Road...' and be careful because that is often busy too, though early on a Sunday morning it is eerily quiet.  (Malyss, Jack and all the rest of you who think we drive on the wrong side of the road here, we will hang on to you at this point, in case you forget which way to look at the crossing!)

The houses opposite were some of the later houses to be built as part of Sir Titus Salt's masterplan for Saltaire, completed in 1868.  The streets are called Jane Street and Dove Street.  Jane and Dove were Sir Titus's daughters-in-law.  The building just creeping into the left of the picture is 1 Albert Road, the largest house in the village, now a bank and originally the home of Salt's Mill's chief cashier.

The alley on the right is at the back of a row of shops called Gordon Terrace that we will visit tomorrow.

[Streets named on street plan]

10 comments:

  1. What an intriguing perspective you chose here, Jenny. All those angles make for an incredibly interesting picture. Just loving all of this - and I'm not amongst those who are experiencing a problem with crossing the road, as we drive on the same side in SA ;)

    Thanks so much for visiting me. I'll be uploading Part 3, as soon as I've managed to get it typed up and sorted. It has turned out to be a lot more than I'd originally anticipated, partly because I have literally hundreds of pictures to choose from - deciding which has been very difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready to cross. I know which way to look. I'm impressed with how clean it all looks compared to London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only safe time to cross the road there would obviously be the Sunday morning for me. I'm not even sure which way to look in my own country. I'm wearing socks with L and R on them and they present me with a problem each morning. Just one of those things ;-)
    I love the perspective and all the angles. Very interesting shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really intriguing perspective! greetings from Bulgaria

    http://design-elements-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great B&W! Great contrast.

    Hope you're having a good Sunday!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking right, looking left, looking right again. Walking straight across the road, looking and listening as I cross :)

    The alleys remind me of Old Trafford; rows of terraced housing with narrow back passages. The Saltaire houses are much more attractive though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an accident ready to happen. What a network of streets into one area. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just sat here and looked at your photo for awhile, I love the architecture and how the buildings are set up on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shot Jenny. I would love to explore this street.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb composition...the empty street looks beautiful to me, such a rare site!

    ReplyDelete