I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 11 January 2011

Heritage Trail 9 - William Henry Street


'Then turn left into William Henry Street..'  The houses here, built in 1854, have small front gardens and are quite spacious inside.  They were intended for the 'overlookers' - the supervisors at the mill.  Personally, I think this street is one of the most attractive in the village, the houses having quite a pretty 'cottagey' look.   I love the rounded windows and doors, and the way the houses are uniform and yet have an individuality too.  You can see the difference between the ones that have had the stonework cleaned and those that have not.  As I have said before, the streets in Saltaire are mostly named after members of Sir Titus Salt's family.  William Henry (1831-1893) was his first son.

[William Henry Street is named on the street plan

If you're ready for a bit of colour after all these black and white images, I have recently posted some colour pictures of Saltaire in the snow on my other blog: Seeking the Quiet Eye.  Click this link or the image on the side bar on the right to track over there.

9 comments:

  1. They do have a 'cottagey' feel. They also give a sense of solidity as though they have been rooted.

    Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Unfortunately, I haven't subscribed to Photoshop, so I'm either going to have to consider spending money or search elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess they are quite modern inside these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice - I'd settle for one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fine image : and isn't it remarkable how a simple grey-scale can bring out so many different shades within stone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvellous picture, Jenny (and no wheelie bin to "spoil" it this time :) The car parked at the far end of the lane is the only sign of modern times :)

    Again, I LOVE the angle - you're ever so good at this, aren't you?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see the inside! those cottages are so lovely and cute! That's very british!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very charming! I, too, would like a peek inside. (Nosy.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so nice that each of them have a small garden in front. I really like their look too! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this in B/W. And I also like to walk and see COLORFUL doors and beautiful front gardens. Can spend hours just doing that.... when I am over in the UK.

    ReplyDelete