I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 13 February 2011

Deep blue twilight


Here in the north of the northern hemisphere - and even though spring still feels a long way off - the days are imperceptibly lengthening.  My walk home from work mostly takes place in the twilight (isn't that a lovely word?) when the lights are on and the sky takes on a marvellous deep blue.  I actually took this photo a week or two ago when the moon was full and placed just beautifully over Salts Mill.  I never tire of this view, day or night.  I like how the lights within the mill have different 'warmths' - some showing white or yellow and some a warmer peach and apricot.  So much more visually interesting than if they were all uniform.

Incidentally, a steam train went up the railway line as I walked home the other night.  I could smell the smoke before I saw or heard the train and I was idly wondering if someone had a bonfire, when, whoosh... (or, rather, chugga chugga!)  Sadly, I didn't have my camera out and primed up, so the moment was lost as a photographic opportunity - must do better!  But, in the spirit of enjoying the here and now, I loved it.  (and PS: If you want to find out why the train came, visit again tomorrow!)

13 comments:

  1. This is really quite lovely experiencing it from your perspective and seeing it through your eyes. The colours are marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moon looks like a point looking for its "i"..when it will reach the chimney, the letter will be perfect! :o)
    I wish you a nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a striking photograph. The light caught in the glass of the greenhouse just about makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful twilight, it IS a magical word you're right, and this picture captures that ethereal blue of the approaching night-sky superbly!
    I love your enthusiasm for you hometown...mind you it is beautiful when you know 'how to look'. Long ago all the brickwork would have been black and the chimney belching more blackness and they didn't have the time or inclination to know 'how to look'!

    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo, and what a lovely walk home this would be. I remember rushing to the top of the wooden bridge near home, so that the steam from the train engine would envelope us. We were kids and it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great balance and composition as well as emitting emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful photograph! The colours are magical!

    Like you, I am enjoying the slightly longer days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a great shot, but I would have liked it even more without the bright light next to the mill. The sky is a beautiful colour indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blue for the sky. I love windows. When painting windows I always made them different. Once I painted a building. It had an open window. Inside was a cafe. On the table was a menu. If you looked closely, you could order a meal from it....
    Your windows have excellent variety!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely ~ just before the moon says good night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The days are finally getting longer. Great! Your twilight shot is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a nice blue with the moon. It has to be nice to able to walk home compare to driving home too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Periwinkle blue is one of my favorite colors. Gorgeous sky!

    ReplyDelete