I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 7 March 2011

Café into the Opera


I wrote recently about Salt's Diner, the main restaurant in Saltaire's Salts Mill, but there is a second rather less well-known restaurant on the third floor,  known as 'Café in to the Opera' (I think because at one time you had to pass through it to get to the exhibition of David Hockney's Opera Sets, which has recently been dismantled).  Its décor is rather theatrical, with a striped awning and bright archway.  It gives it a cosy ambience, which is almost surprising in the vast space of the Mill.  It's also much quieter than Salt's Diner.

Meals are mainly fish-based dishes, but they also do snacks and drinks.  For a review see here.  It is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays and open from 10am until 4 or 5pm on other days (see the Mill's website for up to date info and menus.)  It sits beside a little florist's shop, which seems equally surprising in the context of the Mill.

13 comments:

  1. Oh I love that place. I really must get back up there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks charming! And, I must say I rather like that it sits alongside a florist :)

    Pity I live too far away to experience it, but really enjoy that you share all these lovely places with us, 'virtually' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too... I share every single details and all your stories about different buildings (red door...), new bag, restaurants, promenades... and cheese shop! make me feel so close to Yorkshire!!
    Loved your 'introductions to your favourit friends blogs' as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been catching up with posts we were off the air for a few days. I love the Cheese and Chutney store. We are so short of deli shops around here. The restaurant looks inviting and different. The Mill bag would come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the opera set exhibition well and how it was very badly set out. As I wandered along that floor I constantly found myself wandering onto the sets themselves and eventually a little chap would come running after an alarm went off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, Jenny. This photo has an unusually modern feeling to it, compared with the traditional historic look of so much that you have been showing us from Saltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I've seen this cafe, I've not eaten up here. You are right about the ambience though and I did enjoy seeing a florists up there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a charming little place! I'd love to dine on seafood and look out that vast window!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a pleasant place to while away an hour or two...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love the Opera settings - the cafe looks great - another great reason to visit! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I think I would really enjoy dining there! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can clearly see I need to save up before I visit. I have to have something to eat here, and then there's ALL those things I'll want to buy....!

    ReplyDelete