I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 10 March 2011

Purple patch


The next town along the Aire Valley from Saltaire is Bingley - quite an attractive little market town, much improved a few years ago by the building of a by-pass that diverted some of the traffic from the town centre.  I had a wander along the riverbank and through the town square and passed this bank of crocusses, such a cheering sight and a reminder that spring is on the way.  No doubt certain of my readers would have preferred to see more of the pub in the background - The Ferrands Arms, named after one of the local gentry families. (See this post for another mention of the name).  The pub serves 'real ale' and appeals largely to a late-night crowd of youngsters - or so I gather, since I don't frequent the centre of Bingley late at night, as a rule!

16 comments:

  1. This reader LOVED seeing that glorious swathe of crocuses :) How incredibly lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, colorful.
    Have a great day Jenny.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would rather look at the flowers. It is a beautiful splash of colour that must be heartening for those waiting for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see the spring colours. I've also really enjoyed discovering your photos this week: we're shortly going to be moving up to Saltaire and it's great to see that I'll be able to enjoy getting out and about with my camera a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious!! I always look out for the purple crocus for that rich splash of colour. My son-in-law works in Bingley and travels there about an hour's journey daily, I bet he knows The Ferrands Arms ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little bit of yellow mixed in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! I need springtime so badly. We're still under two feet of snow here. Am I looking for sympathy?? YES!! But thank you for the beautiful and cheery crocuses. It's a good reminder that winter, even here, will be followed by springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful display! I love the purple and white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how lovely! We're a couple of weeks away from blooms I think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a welcome sight this must be for all the unseasonable weather you had this winter. So lovely! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely flowers! Well done! We had someone leave a bunch of snowdrops in our foyer the other day, so they have come up in Penticton. Unfortunately we have a 404 error on our blog we can't resolve, so if you still wish to follow we are now at:
    http://michaelhanne.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely sight! And I loved yesterday's photo -- a great name for a boat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this one; we drove by Harrogate Stray last weekend; the crocuses were fabulous but we had forgotten the camera. Thinking of you and your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are not quite "there" yet here--have only noticed the pointed shoots of bulbs poking through the earth so far. So, it brought a smile to my face and a feeling of hope to see this image of that mass of blooming crocuses!
    I stumbled on your blog, BTW, bt searching out who else listed "My Family And Other Animals" as a favorite book and I think I may have found a new favorite blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete