I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 16 May 2011

Favourite


Hello - I'm back from my holiday in the Lake District.  It was very 'sunshine and showers', a bit ironic considering there's been no rain at all for the past six weeks.  I took loads of photos (of course!) and will post some on here as soon as I have sorted them out.  Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments over the past week - I've just finished reading them all and really enjoyed them.  There seems to have been a fault with Blogger's auto-posting - my last Thursday's post appeared and then disappeared, but I have now posted it again.  It lost its comments though.... sorry if you wrote one and it has gone.

Hope to catch up on your blogs, over the next few days.  In the meantime, I've one or two Saltaire shots that I prepared earlier.

This is one of my favourite photos of one of my favourite bits of Saltaire - the ornamental 'twin towers' on the long south frontage of Salts Mill.  At least, I think they are merely ornamental.  They might, I suppose, have been chimneys at one time.  You can see clearly the elborate Italianate stonework, astonishing in its detail considering the Mill was (still is) a functional industrial building.  Set against a leaden grey sky, the honey-coloured stone really glows.  I posted a wider-angle black and white shot of the Mill frontage earlier this year - see here.

11 comments:

  1. I'm just discovering your pictures of York Garden below.. Woaww! what a fabulous and peaceful place!And today, your twin towers bring me back to the special and attractive mood of Saltaire.. Welcome back , dear Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a satisfyingly bold shot of the towers. Look forward to your Lakes pictures. We expect to be over there later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That view is so obviously Saltaire isn't it? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, the dark blue sky in this picture makes the stones glow against it, I really like it.
    BTW I wouldn't recognise at first sight that this picture and the b&w picture mentioned in the end of this post represent the same building. Nice comparison...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to know you had a nice well-derved break :) I have enjoyed your daily photo but was not able to leave comments as my visits were fleeting. The garden scenes were absolutely beautiful :)

    I hope you're rejuvenated after your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chimneys are quite impressive and the glow of the stones really shows off this handsome building. Welcome back from your Holiday! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shot. I love the greens and purples in that ominous sky. It almost could be snow on the roof....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful how they put so much detail into a functional building!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They really do look superb against that sky!

    Where did you go in the Lakes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are nice chimneys, Jenny, and you composed your shot well. I like seeing utilitarian structures like chimneys with the attractive embellishments that are built into these chimneys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why this would be a favorite photo... the subject of the old stone chimneys is interesting, the composition is perfect and so is the lighting of the sun against the ominously dark sky.

    [Although I've managed to post some in the past weeks, there hasn't been much time for visiting. I see your vacation has come and gone... so now I'll go enjoy your lovely photos of the Lakes area. Hope you are feeling relaxed and refreshed, Jenny.]

    ReplyDelete