I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 18 August 2011

Jump


Members of my camera club went to a local equestrian centre recently, for a photo shoot.  I've never really tried to photograph horses before - and, like so many things in life, it's not as easy as you might think. (Kudos to Fiona - Cattle, Kids & Chaos, another of the blogs I enjoy - who hails from a cattle station in Queensland, Australia and takes some superb animal shots).  I was fiddling a bit with my new camera too, not entirely sure which settings to choose.  I'm determined not to resort to the scene modes all the time but to learn to use aperture and shutter settings properly.  It was a joy, however, to have that fast response shutter without the time-lag that affects my smaller cameras. Although I enjoyed myself, most of my photos turned out nowhere near the standard I want.  I shall have to have another visit and learn from my mistakes.

I think I caught a good pose in this one but I've had to lighten it up a lot as the horse and rider were nearly silhouetted against the sky.  (It was actually quite a dull day, but even so the sky was relatively bright compared to everything else.)   This was a beautiful horse, glossy black.  The accomplished young woman riding is the daughter of one of our club members.

14 comments:

  1. Shhhh, don't tell folks of your imagined weaknesses. HERE IS MY PHOTO OF A RIDER SILHOUETTED AGAINST THE SKY. It is a good action shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shot, Jenny, even if it was taken under very difficult conditions. Even with the camera's quick shutter response, I find my own "shutter delay" is such that I miss the best part of an action shot anyway. So I have resorted to the "machine gun" setting on my camera and select the one out of the sequence that I like best. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that anyone who attempts action shots ends up with a lot of failures; they just don't tell anyone! I like the way your picture has a sense of place in addition to the sporting interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think it's wonderful...and very striking in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job with this capture! And yesterday's mosaic was brilliant! (You've given me an ides . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It came out very well ! Not so easy to take pictures of a moving animal.I know that with my cats !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not able to take such pictures! I like it! Maybe not the perfection you wanted , but a good picture anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sometimes frustrating. A new camera but not always better shots. Been there done that but it is a challenge to keep learning. I'm still trying to get it right after 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must have been very exciting to photograph this, I just love everything about it, it's such a great shot! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  12. One famous photographer, whom I naturally can't name, having the mind of a sieve for names, once said, the only difference between a professional and an amateur is that the former is willing to take hundreds more photos and delete them. I've taken that to heart. Of course, like in tennis, the only thing I have in common with the real pros is their mistakes... LOL! This is a good action shot, Jenny, and I agree with your choice to desat.

    ReplyDelete