I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 26 September 2011

Inner courtyard


A few days ago I showed the inside of what is now the Pace canteen and was formerly the combing shed of Salts Mill.  Here's the outside, with its set of huge double doors.  This inner courtyard has recently been prettified a little bit with some sculptural planters because it now affords access, for those who can't climb the steps at the main entrance, to the new Information Centre.  But in essence I don't think it has changed that much since the mill opened.  I nearly entitled this 'a load of old cobbles'.  Most of the roadways in the mill complex are still the original stone setts. (It's a bit of a bumpy ride for a wheelchair user, I'm afraid.)   The setts at the front of the Mill (see here) had been covered in tarmac and Jonathan Silver had them reinstated after he bought the mill in the late 80s.

9 comments:

  1. Cobbles match very well with the stone walls. The flowers add a small touch of warm welcoming to a severe looking place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've recently removed cobbles from a street near here for the benefit of wheelchair users. However they've deprived many of the young people I work with (all wheelchair users) of what they considered the most exciting bit of the whole town!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have empathy for the wheelchair bound, I hate to see the cobblestones lost. And I love to see old mills preserved and re-purposed. They are certainly more attractive than their modern replacements! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the angle on this- great blog by the way!

    Chrissy
    http://mancunianwave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The balancing act between aesthetics and practicality are tough, aren't they? I come down on the side of preserving the heritage by keeping the cobblestones and looking for alternatives for the wheelchair-bound. Sometimes the 99 percent who are not in wheelchairs should have some consideration, too. (Admittedly, my perspective is that of a normally healthy adult, and I hope it doesn't change once I age and need some support.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those arched double doors are fantastic! And the cobble stones are so beautiful. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful! And tidy...I don't even see a stray leaf! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A load of old cobbles for sure, but how pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great site, keep up the good work, my colleagues would love this. I read many blogs daily, and for the most part people lack substance, but not in this case. I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog, I'm gonna bookmark the saltairedailyphoto.blogspot.com web site. Thanks

    ReplyDelete