I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 1 December 2011

Bubbles


Living in such a historic place as Saltaire and keen to showcase its rugged beauty to those who have never visited, I sometimes think I may be in danger of 'talking up' the area as a whole.  There is lots that is genuinely attractive and worthy of photographing - but we have our share of 'ordinary' (and 'horrible') as well.  Oddly enough, I am always pleased to see those aspects of other parts of the world on other people's blogs.  It's interesting to see the similarities and differences and those are often more obvious in the 'ordinary' aspects of our towns and cities.  With that in mind, I am determined to capture a few of the less immediately attractive parts of Saltaire and Shipley.

What better place to start than an enterprise that I pass daily on my walk to work: 'Bubbles', the hand car-wash.  There was time when all car-washes in these parts were those fearsome drive-through type with huge rotating brushes that threatened to tear off your car aerial or any loose bits of trim.  My daughter,  as a child,  always used to get excited when the car was dunked in foam.  These days they seem to be a dying breed, supplanted by armies of young men energetically spraying and polishing.  Supposed to be less likely to scratch the paintwork - but I have my doubts!  Anyway, Bubbles is a cheerful looking place and seems to do a good trade most of the time.  A lot of my neighbours seem to stick with the old-fashioned methodology - a soapy sponge and a bucket or a hosepipe, on the street outside the house.  Much cheaper.  Much more convivial too; someone always stops to chat.

11 comments:

  1. Glad to see the US doesn't have exclusive rights to tacky, although it does have to stand out more sharply against the beautiful backdrop of Saltaire. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not one of your more attractive photos, lets just say its "urban utilitarian" . . . and, as you say, all part and parcel on what makes up a community.
    As a matter of fact I often stand at the bus stop across the road from the Bubbles car wash and watch the "tube man" inflating and deflating . . .up and down . . up and down . . .it really can be quite hypnotic . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed seeing Bubbles. We have a couple of garages close by with a car wash with foam, rotating brushes and hot air for drying. Fortunately we have had no damage though I hate to think I have just jinxed myself. We see a lot of people washing their cars outside in the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bubbles? Really? We have them here in Kelowna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour scheme is bright and cheerful, but I'm never sure whether the flying tube man is meant to entice me as a customer or make me run for cover! One could have unpleasant dreams about the likes of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In fifty years time "Bubbles" will be preserved for posterity, possibly a theme park in the care of the National Trust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a contrast! But the tube man with his jester's cap seems particularly British.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the little mascot guy makes me laugh! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it looks familiar in this part of the world too. I wonder if it will be there in hundreds of years for someone to blog about but then blogging will probably be outdated then too. I wonder how people will communicate then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was my hero, Ruth, a travel writer/photographer I've blogged about, who advised me some years ago not to shoot picture postcard perfect only and to catch the ordinary too. That's what got me interested in street photography, but I don't post those often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did do a double take when I saw this one Jenny! Why it really could be anywhere over here too. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete