I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Arrested again


I see this view so often - daily, sometimes several times a day - that you might think I wouldn't really notice it anymore.  Familiarity is supposed to breed contempt, after all.  But there is something so imposing about Salts Mill that it still has an impact every time I see it.  It's an arresting sight.  I love the way different weather conditions, light and seasons subtly alter it too.  In the winter when there are no leaves on the trees to obscure the detail, you notice the relationship between the church and the Mill much more.  Saltaire United Reformed Church is opposite the Mill, across Victoria Road, and is itself an imposing building  - but because the Mill is so vast and because of the steepness of the hill down towards the canal and river, the church tower looks small and insignificant in comparison.  This photo shows less than half of the south front of Salts Mill.  For a panoramic view, see here.

6 comments:

  1. Seen from this angle, they do compliment each other very well. It's obvious that they belong together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOPS! I meant 'complement'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that feeling, I've taken many pictures of places here, under many kinds of lights or weathers, and i'm still surprised and impressed..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful building like this can be captured in many different lights and seasons ....and from different angles. It's always glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the architecture of the building and gives so many different opportunities for photos! Love this one.
    By the way, thank you so much for letting me know how my double exposure happened on my pelican shot. Didn't even know my camera has a multiple exposure function. Gah! so much to learn about it.
    But I know I did not have the setting on since I didn't even know about it! You can bet now I use it more often though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand the fascination it holds for you. I'm like that too. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete