I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Morrison's van


This van has a story to tell.  It was manufactured in Bradford in 1948 by the vehicle manufacturing firm Jowett, which produced cars and vans between 1906 and 1953.  This was a delivery van for Wm Morrison Provisions Ltd, a company that started life in 1899 as market stall in Bradford selling eggs and butter.  Its founder, William Morrison, was succeeded as the director by his son Ken in 1952. In 1958 he opened the first of his shops in Bradford, which became the first self-service store in the area. The company opened its first supermarket in 1961 and has grown to become the fourth largest supermarket chain in UK, after Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys.  Morrisons still have their company headquarters in Bradford.

8 comments:

  1. I had my groceries delivered by Tesco last night - wonder where their van will be in 50 years time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all your posts about old cars; I think that cars were more beautiful in past times, because they were all different.Today they all have the same shapes, same colors , and have lost their charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a gorgeous van and a great colour. The company has an interesting history. Its good to hear of success stories like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cool looking vehicle!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a history Jenny, the van is looking pretty darn good for it's age, someone is giving it a lot of TLC!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are building a new Morrison's just down the road. I suppose we can claim ASDA for Yorkshire as well - before it became part of an American conglomerate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fine old van! I'd like to own it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there when the first supermarket opened - my Dad (Ronnie Holdsworth) was the Manager Butcher and I think most of our family chipped in with help at the beginning. I used to help packing meat.

    ReplyDelete