I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 25 January 2013

25. Chimneys

Saltaire's chimneys make an attractive subject for a photographer. The houses would originally have had cooking ranges downstairs and smaller fireplaces upstairs, meaning each had several chimneys. The use of open fires largely died out, with various 'smokeless' Acts and the relative ease of newer forms of electric and gas heating, but I notice that lately there seem to be more people using their fireplaces again and contemporary Saltaire sometimes has a fragrance of woodsmoke from the chimneys.



6 comments:

  1. Yes, a lot of people are opening up their fireplaces once more, jennyfreckles. Our daughter has just had a couple of woodburners installed. It was so toasty yesterday, I needed to be prised out of the door at hometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very surprising topic! ;-)

    Greetings from the Netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Open fires look cosy but I don't believe they heat as well as other more modern forms of heating, I don't think I could be bothered with the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially liked the chimney pots in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I was always fascinated by how many chimneys projected from buildings over there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help thinking of Mary Poppins! :o)

    ReplyDelete