I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Pretty as a picture


The Leeds-Liverpool Canal is a picture of tranquillity on a calm, late autumn day. This is a mile or so out of Saltaire towards Bingley, just beyond the aqueduct and before the Dowley Gap locks. There's an old mill on the left that has been converted into residences and there are a few houseboats moored here most of the time. It looks really pretty on this photo, though in reality I often think this stretch of the canal doesn't quite live up to its potential. The mill conversion is a bit tatty, as are the boats - and unfortunately the pretty scene is somewhat spoilt by the fragrance wafting over from the adjacent sewage works!

7 comments:

  1. You can't have everything I guess. But it sure looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title says it all.. Luckily, i don't have the fragrances here, only the beauty! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely. It is a bit of the canal I remember sailing along, either thankful that I had got the Five Rise behind me or anxious that it was yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I like the reflections in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the odours haven't come through with the pic, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a pretty stretch of water I think it should have a prettier name. The Leeds - Liverpool Canal doesn't conjure up pastoral scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in a forgiving mood about the mill conversion and the houseboats, but the stench from the sewage works? That would be hard to ignore or forgive.

    ReplyDelete