I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 3 September 2015

Welcome to Leeds!


This rather alarming mask is the logo of the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds. The original 'horned helmet' was part of the court armour of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I, which he presented to Henry VIII in 1514. The Royal Armouries Museum - the UK's national museum of arms and armour - is a lot more fun than it sounds, and well worth a visit (free too) even though I don't think they any longer feature the jousting tournaments that were such fun to watch. (Funding cuts, I guess.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - what a great mask .. and the Armouries Museum is often highlighted and used for reconstructions ... I remember one in particular about Stirling Castle ... and they were able to say the skeleton was a jouster (nobleman too) .. because of the extra bone developed over the years in the jousting arm.

    Very difficult about the free museums - I too hope they don't go .. but suspect they will .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit strange! I like how you photographed it.

    ReplyDelete