I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 31 December 2017

Saltaire by night


I rarely wander the local streets at night with my camera and tripod but, when I do, I am always struck again by how the character of the village changes in the dark. In the winter months when darkness comes early, the lights twinkle out from the shops and businesses down Victoria Road, still busily working after nightfall. It's not a view the early Victorian residents would have recognised. Candles, oil and gas lamps would have provided a much gentler glow. But the plethora of modern electric lights - tungsten, fluorescent, halogen, LEDs - all have different warmths and the effect is, I think, quite cosy and attractive.

My photo shows the junction of Victoria Road and Caroline Street, right at the heart of the village.

If you're venturing out tonight to see in the New Year, take care.

Wishing you all a very happy, healthy and safe New Year.  I hope 2018 will be a good year for all of us personally and will herald change towards a better, safer, more equal, more peaceful world. (We can but hope!)

5 comments:

  1. Jenny I say thank you for your fascinating blog. You too be careful on your travels in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photograph Jenny. Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you Jenny! Love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twinkling is quite appropriate for this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was worth it to go out at night with your camera, but be careful!!

    ReplyDelete