I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 14 January 2018

Crossover


This is the point where the Leeds-Liverpool Canal crosses the River Aire on an aqueduct (to the right of my photo). It's just a mile or so out from Saltaire. It's the furthest point of my favourite walk, the point where I leave the canal towpath, slip through a stile in the wall (which you can just see, where walkers have worn a groove in the earth) and clamber down to the riverbank to return home.

4 comments:

  1. It's great to have a decent walk within easy reach of home. No matter how many aqueducts I see it still doesn't seem right for boats to go over bridges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see how the canal goes over the river! Just the engineering of it must be amazing. Though perhaps not as picturesque as your walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the enthusiastic Yorkshire promoters this length of the Leeds and Liverpool was the first to be completed in 1776. Limestone was carried in 40-ton horse drawn barges from Skipton quarries to build the rapidly developing industrial town Bradford.

    ReplyDelete